Work as a healthcare practitioner - Educated outside EU and EEA

If you want to work as a healthcare practitioner and you are educated outside the EU and EEA, you may need to obtain a Swedish licence. Within healthcare, there are 21 regulated professions that require a licence. The National Board of Health and Welfare will make an assessment of your foreign basic training and make a decision as to what you need to do in order to proceed in the licensing process.

The process is divided into eight main steps:

  1. How to obtain a licence
  2. Assessing your education
  3. Learn Swedish
  4. Take a proficiency test
  5. Take a course in Swedish laws and regulations
  6. Undergo clinical training
  7. Submit your application for a licence

Here you can find more information about how to apply for a Swedish licence from the National Board of Health and Welfare.

Proficiency test

The National Board of Health and Welfare has mandated universities to perform proficiency tests for all professions that are subject to a licence requirement.

Many, but not all, proficiency tests are divided into a theoretical part and a practical part. The proficiency test usually requires long and intensive preparation.

Umeå University offers proficiency tests for doctors.

Gothenburg University for nurses (in Swedish).

The Karolinska Institute (Stockholm) offers proficiency tests for dentists (in Swedish), physiotherapists (in Swedish), biomedical analysts (in Swedish), Psychologists (in Swedish).
For more info contact Karolinska Institute Study and Career Advice Service.

More information about proficiency tests for the various professions is available on the site of the National Board of Health and Welfare.

Supplementary programmes

If you have a completed degree from a country outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland and want to work as a licensed physician, nurse, dentist, pharmacist or biomedical scientist in Sweden, the supplementary training is an alternative path to obtaining a Swedish licence. When you have successfully completed the training, you attach your degree certificate to your application for a licence to the National Board of Health and Welfare.

The programmes begin once a year in the autumn, and are intended to provide the knowledge and skills required to practice the respective profession in Sweden.

All supplementary programmes are offered in Swedish.

Gothenburg University: Doctors, dentists, nurses, biomedical analysts and pharmacists

Karolinska Institute in Stockholm: Doctors, dentists, nurses, midwives and physiotherapists

Malmö University: Dentists

Linköping University: Doctors and biomedical analysts

Lund University: Doctors and psychologists

Uppsala University: Psychologists and biomedical analysts

Umeå University: Psychologists

Linnaeus University in Växjö: Nurses

University of Gävle: Nurses

Luleå Technical University: Nurses